Saturday, June 23, 2007

San Pedro Sula, Honduras



A couple of years ago I was asked to help out teaching workshops in Latin America with the Interamerican Press Society. The lead instructor, Ricardo Ferro, a photojournalist whose work and career I've known for years, needed an assistant instructor to carry out these 3-4 day seminars. I was lucky and honored to do this. There is no payment for this, only airfare, lodging and meals, but the experience has been priceless. I've had the chance to teach/interact with newspaper and magazine photographers and editors in several countries in Central and South America. I teach very basic (I am no expert in this) location lighting using very minimal gear. Portraits using a small softbox and a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd light. I've also taught painting with light and the use of reflectors to create a more sophisticated image always understanding that most of the students do not have access to tons of equipment.
This photo was shot during a "5 minute portrait" class in San Pedro Sula. The model is a student.

No comments: