Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Stock photos





A couple of months ago I spent about 4 days bidding for a freelance project that I thought I wanted. I had to prepare a gallery of archive images showing my travel photography. Whenever I have to look for old photos it's a pain in the behind. I did it, found all the photos I thought worked and sent to the "client". Next day I get the news that I was "selected" from a bunch of finalists. This was a book deal so I was really excited about it until I read the client's contract and terms/conditions. Simply said, it was a terrible deal for me and a great deal for them. I asked for more money and some adjustments on the conditions. No go. They just wouldn't budge. In the end I'd end up giving them hundreds of photos from which they would choose what they wanted and they then would pay me a couple of months later. In the end, I'd only make about $10-$14 per image and create a bank of images for the client (which they'd keep for at least 6 years) to sell and split the revenue with me 50/50.

I called the pic editor and told him I wouldn't be involved in the project. He was pissed and told me so. Oh well, I am new to the freelance world but I'm not new to photography.

The good thing out of of this bad experience is that I got a shoot list from the "client". I am now using that list to put together my own PR stock gallery which I will display/offer on my PhotoShelter page. I plan on shooting for that gallery every week in different parts of the island.

Here are a couple of pics I shot with that in mind.

gear talk: shot w/a G10, P mode

No comments: