Friday, August 3, 2007

Holocaust Memorial (South Beach)




Today I had a chance to take my folks to the Holocaust Memorial in South Beach. My dad just turned 80 last night and he'd been wanting to go. However, my mom didn't want to. So I told my dad I'd take him and mom could stay @ my brother's. My mom changed her mind. I've been to the memorial a few times over the years. The experience is powerful each time I go. My folks were very moved. I'm no historian but I got to explain to my mom who Anne Frank was and what little I know about the Jewish people. We didn't know any Jewish people growing up and only had some general knowledge of the Nazi campaign and Adolf Hitler. The 1st time I saw an old Jewish man with a number tattooed on his forearm I was really blown away. Over the years I've come to understand how brutal and inhumane people can be. I talked to my folks about how dangerous it is to blindly and fanatically follow any man. My dad got to shoot a ton of pics w/his new P&S which he got on Father's Day. When I was a child I used to ask him to let me use his little 110 camera. He would hesitate but would eventually relent. That's how and when I started shooting bad pics, only difference is now I get paid for it. He kept bragging all day about how much better his photos are than mine.
Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.