Thursday, January 14, 2010

Miami Haitian's reaction to earthquake


In Miami for a wedding and personal time when the 7.0 magnitude earthquake devastated Haiti a couple of days ago. I normally travel with my passport. I didn't this time. I was actually called by an agency and asked to fly to Haiti for them but I had to turn that request down.
Getty Images's news picture desk hired me for a couple of days to shoot South Florida's reaction to the catastrophe. I went to several regular places looking for visuals. Veye-Yo is a Little Haiti gathering place for Haitians to discuss social and political issues. There were only two women present. A tv crew had just left. I figured I could make some general images with some of the flags and posters on the walls. A few minutes later one of the ladies who was sitting behind me, started singing a Christian Spiritual song. The lady in the photo started crying, screaming uncontrollably. I recorded a 2 min audio piece of the event. Real moving and emotional.

Please Help Haiti. You can make a quick $10 donation from your cell phone.
Faster than you can complain about some trivial crap today you can make a $10
donation to the Red Cross Intl Response Fund for Haiti. Simply text 90999 and write Haiti in the subject line. The amount will be added to your phone bill.
Also http://yele.org/, which is the Wyclef Jean organization, is a solid group.

Do it, please.

No comments: