Friday, December 11, 2009

Dominica assignment




The Guardian newspaper from England hired me to shoot a piece for their Sunday magazine in the neighboring island of Dominica. This assignment required a lot of phone calls and emails to the subjects I had to photograph. I had never been to Dominica and was at a loss for resources in terms of logistics. It took me three days to get this done but I wished I’d had at least an entire week to spend there.

I was blown away by the beauty and chaos of this small island. Dominica is the greenest island in the Caribbean. It’s a real dream for those who love hiking. There is a small Carib (indigenous people) population. There really isn’t much road infrastructure. About 3/4 of the island is mountainous. There’re no highways. The roads are narrow and treacherous. Traveling to Dominica is expensive. It cost me about $500 r/t from Puerto Rico, a little over an hour away.

The light in Dominica is magical. No real development means great penetration of light throughout the island. I managed to make a few photos in the afternoon light a couple of times. The people of Dominica are friendly and welcoming generally speaking. Beer is found everywhere and the food is awsome.

More to come.

No comments: